Planning your End-to-End
An End-to-End is the completion of the entire main Bruce Trail on foot. At 900 km long, this journey can be done over 30 days or several years depending on how you'd like to approach it.
At Your Own Pace, Over Time
Most End-to-End hikers attempt to complete the full 900 km over the course of months or years, hiking sections of trail as they have time. These may be self-directed hikes, or part of the organized End-to-End hikes offered by Bruce Trail Clubs.
Section Hiking with Bruce Trail Clubs
Avoid the difficulty of scheduling trailhead transportation and enjoy the comraderie of hiking with other end-to-enders by participating in one of the organized section End-to-Ends offered by our nine Bruce Trail Clubs.
Completing the entire 900 km Bruce Trail in a single trip is a major endeavour requiring significant physical, mental and logistic preparation.
Make sure you are prepared with the appropriate maps, clothing, and food, and are physically ready for hiking with your gear.
Please note that pursuing a thru-hike by only camping is NOT possible. The designated camping areas are too few and far between. Camping in undesignated areas is considered trespassing and puts the route of the Bruce Trail at risk. Check out our roofed accommodation listings for other overnight options.
Keep a hiking log and by the end of your journey, let us know so that we may officially recognize you as an End-to-Ender and present you with your badge!
We've issued over 4000 official End-to-End numbers in our 50+ year history. That is a wonderful record and we know that there are many more who have completed the Trail without letting us know.
Each year the names of those who have reported End-to-End completions in the previous 12 months are published in the spring issue of Bruce Trail Conservancy Magazine.
To be recognized as an official End-to-Ender with the Bruce Trail Conservancy, we ask you to:
- Send us your hiking logs*
- Provide us with the date you completed your End-to-End
- Be a BTC member at the time you complete your End-to-End
- Send us $15 to cover the costs of your badge, certificate, and processing your End-to-End.
*The hiking logs can be as simple as a list of the dates of your hikes and where you started and ended each day. It might be worth having a separate page for each club section (especially as these will help you request Club Badges from the individual Bruce Trail Clubs).
Payment and logs can be sent to our mailing address at P.O. Box 857, Hamilton, ON L8N 3N9 or to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We operate on the honour system.
- We give equal recognition to all End-to-End hikers regardless of sequence, direction, speed, or whether the End-to-End was completed as a thru-hike or in sections. The BTC does not maintain records of End-to-End completion time or of End-to-Enders gender, age, or other characteristics.
- We issue an End-to-End badge, a certificate, and a unique official End-to-End number.