The Accessible Ontario Disability Act and the Bruce Trail Conservancy
Does this apply to me?
The Accessibility Standard for Customer Service applies to all organizations (public, private and non-profit) that provide goods or services either directly to the public or to other organizations in Ontario and that have one or more employees in Ontario.
The customer service standard requires training to staff and volunteers on providing customer service to people with disabilities.
This includes hike leaders, board members, Head Office volunteers and staff.
Hike Leaders - Please note the following statement -
This statement should be used, if necessary, to let people know what to expect when hiking the Bruce Trail:
While there are a few portions of the Bruce Trail within Conservation Areas that are wheelchair accessible, use of the majority of the Trail is suitable for foot traffic only. To participate in an organized hike, you need to be able to complete the specified length of the hike on your own or with your own support person within the time allowed. Please refer to the hiking schedule for hike details.
This statement can also be added to your Club Newsletter hike listings.
The BTC Policy - Customer Service for People with Disabilities
This policy outlines the customer service that the Bruce Trail Conservancy (BTC) provides to people with disabilities and our commitment to train staff and volunteers on this, as per the requirements of Regulation 429/07, Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario, under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
The practices on how the BTC will provide goods or services to people with disabilities will be consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity.
1. The BTC will ensure the following areas are accessible to all people.
- Communication - The BTC will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. The BTC will train staff who communicate with members of the public on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- Telephone services - The BTC will provide a fully accessible telephone service. The BTC will train staff and volunteers to communicate over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
- Billing - The BTC will provide accessible invoices to all of our customers. For this reason, invoices will be provided in the following formats upon request: large print, hard copy, electronically.
2. Use of service animals and support persons - The BTC is committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal in the Head Office. The BTC will provide training to all staff and volunteers who deal with the public on how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal.
3. Training for staff and volunteers - The BTC will provide training to all BTC staff and Head Office volunteers and other volunteers who deal with the public, and all those who are involved in the development and approval of customer service policies and procedures. This training will take place within the first 3 months after staff/ volunteers commence their duties. Training will be provided in an online format. Training will include:
- The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use a service animal
- How to use the TTY - if appropriate
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing the BTC's goods and services
- The BTC's policies and procedures relating to the customer service standard
4. Feedback process - Feedback can be provided to the BTC via email, phone or mail.
- Email: contact email@example.com, subject line AODA,
- Phone: call 1 800 665 4453,
- Mail: write to PO Box 857, Hamilton ON L8N 3N9 attn: AODA.
The BTC will respond to you within 5 business days.