Join a network of conservation-minded youth
and be the voice of the next generation for the Bruce Trail Conservancy!
The Bruce Trail Conservancy (BTC) Youth Council is launching this year. We are seeking passionate individuals, ages 18-25 (or turning 18 in 2021), who are interested in trails and conservation, to form our first Youth Council and share their skills and voice in support of preserving a ribbon of wilderness. We are currently recruiting for general members of the Youth Council and the Executive Committee, a small team that will lead the council.
Why Join the BTC Youth Council?
- Help to create the BTC's first-ever council of youth advocates and advisors.
- Connect with other youth to discuss relevant environmental issues.
- Provide advice to the BTC on ways to engage youth in meaningful ways.
- Learn about and help develop opportunities for youth volunteering along the Bruce Trail.
- Get relevant, timely volunteer experience in a environmental, non-profit setting.
- Support the BTC mission: Preserving a ribbon of wilderness, for everyone, forever.
Two Ways to be Involved
Join as a general member to be involved in monthly meetings, attend virtual and in-person events, and share your voice. If you are interested in taking on more of a leadership role, apply to join the Executive Committee to provide leadership and direction to the Youth Council, and plan events and opportunities to connect virtually and in-person.
Youth Council, General Member
All general member applicants will be invited to join monthly Youth Council virtual meetings. This is a flexible opportunity for those interested in getting involved.
General Members will:
- Attend monthly Youth Council virtual meetings.
- Provide their voice and opinion on important issues related to conservation and the environment with relation to the Bruce Trail Conservancy.
- Participate in events and professional development opportunities.
- Be invited to join the BTC Youth Council social media group to stay connected with other involved Youth Council members, and attend virtual and in-person events.
Youth Council, Executive Committee Member
Executive Committee members will take a leadership role on the Youth Council, serving in their role from October 2021-May 2022.
Executive Committee Members will:
- Determine the goals and objectives of the Youth Council.
- Plan and execute events.
- Help build the youth network of the Bruce Trail Conservancy.
A Chair and Vice Chair will be selected to lead the group, and a staff advisor from the BTC will support the Executive Committee and Youth Council.
The role of an Executive Committee member will require a regular commitment of joining monthly virtual meetings, with additional calls as needed, assisting in planning of events, and being an active member by serving as a voice for youth in the Bruce Trail community.
Executive Committee spots will be limited. If you are not selected to join the Executive Committee this year, you will be invited to join as a general member with lots of opportunities to still be involved. You only need to apply once. The Executive Committee will dissolve in May, with a new Executive Committee to be selected annually each fall.
- Friday, October 1, 2021: Deadline for applications for the Executive Commitee. General member applications will remain open.
- Sunday, October 17, 2021 (evening): First meeting of the BTC Youth Council
- A schedule of meetings for the rest of the year will be determined based on availability of members following the first meeting.
Contact Meghan Croll at firstname.lastname@example.org.