Manager of Communications
Job Position: Manager of Communications
Organization: The Bruce Trail Conservancy
Location: 55 Head St, Suite 101, Dundas, On
About the Organization
Bruce Trail Conservancy is one of Ontario’s largest land trusts and the steward of Canada’s oldest and longest marked footpath the iconic Bruce Trail. We are a member-driven, volunteer-based, charitable organization, governed by a 19-member Board of Directors.
The Bruce Trail Conservancy understands the path forward depends on healthy, protected land. We are grounded in the evidence that land, in a natural state or brought back to ecological health, is a critical step to building nature-based solutions to address our climate crisis. The Bruce Trail Conservancy is the only charitable organization working to preserve sensitive Escarpment lands while making them safe and accessible for the people of Ontario. To date, the BTC has protected over 18,000 acres of the Niagara Escarpment. We are working to secure the missing lands from our conservation corridor. Habitat loss, developmental pressure, population growth, and climbing land prices add urgency to our important mission.
Niagara Escarpment lands contribute significantly to the ecology of this region of Ontario through water filtration, carbon storage, and habitat protection, as well as being home to species at risk. In carrying out our mandate, we are committed to protecting species and their habitat, and ensuring new Bruce Trail does not negatively impact the environment.
Being a charitable organization, we raise money primarily from individual donors to acquire and care for Escarpment lands and secure a natural corridor for the Bruce Trail. Working with each of the nine Bruce Trail Clubs, we are committed to ensuring free and safe public access to the world-class Trail. To date,70.2% of the Bruce Trail is now on permanently protected land, and the Conservancy is committed to securing 100%, with the support of its members and donors.
The BTC offers a comprehensive benefits package, including the opportunity for a hybrid working arrangement, as well as ongoing training and support for all positions within the organization.
About the Position
We have an immediate need for a Manager of Communications. Reporting to the VP of Operations, this position oversees a small departmental staff and is responsible for all elements of the BTC communications including the Bruce Trail Conservancy Magazine, social media, media releases, and other methods of external and internal communication.
The successful candidate will:
• Manage and provide content for external communication pieces
• Manage Board communications
• Write and edit the Bruce Trail Conservancy Magazine and Annual Impact Report
• Write media releases and maintain relationships with media
• Develop an internal staff communication plan and implement the plan
• Develop key messages from external and internal policy changes
Summary of Qualifications and Experience
• Post-Secondary Education with University Degree preferred
• High familiarity with MS Office and G-Suite products
• Strong writing, editing, and production skills across multiple communication platforms.
• Media relations and/or public relations experience
• Internal communications experience
• Non-profit experience is considered an asset for this role
Please submit your resume and cover letter including salary expectations to Human Resources attn: Jackie Randle at email@example.com by 4 pm on January 31st.